Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Reason #1,439 We Sing in Worship

Yesterday in Chapel there was no bulletin, just some hymn lyrics, and a hymn number on the board for the closing song.  When I opened the hymnal to #727 for the closing song (we have the new Presbyterian Glory to God hymnals) it was this - - 

 

When I was a rising freshmen in high school I went to Music Camp at Camp Whitman, a Presbyterian summer camp owned and operated by the Presbyteries of Geneva and Genesee Valley in the Fingerlakes region of New York.  It was not my first time at Camp Whitman, but it was my first time at Music Camp.

I am not usually surprised in worship.  I am one of "those" people that scans the whole bulletin when I sit down.  I was surprised Monday.  When the opening chords of "The Servant Song" were played I was awash in sense memories so strong they created positive emotions and feelings in me I had all but forgotten.  
  • I was reminded of beautiful, radiant, wonderful human beings I met that week I learned "The Servant Song" for the very first time (some of whom I am still blessed to be friends with 18 years later).    
  • I could smell the mix of damp leaves, lake water, and campfire smoke that is the essence of Camp Whitman.
Remembering that time that was filled with love and joy so vividly overwhelmed and brought me to tears.

"I will weep when you are weeping
When you laugh I'll laugh with you"

No comments: