Monday, October 19, 2015

Bulletin Covers

When I was planning my beloved friend's memorial service this past week, I briefly considered bulletin covers with a sunflower on them because they were her favorite flower.  

In the end we decided to go with roses because of a significant family story.  During those few days searching for covers with sunflowers on them I was really frustrated that the scripture verses on them were specifically focused on fall, and harvest and Thanksgiving.


I've been reflecting a lot about this season of loss occurring during Autumn.  Fall is my favorite season.  While leaves, vines, and flowers all die in the fall, it is also a time of abundant harvest.  Bulbs get planted in the fall for spring blossoms.  It's cool enough in the fall to have a fire in the fireplace at my parent's house.  The smell of woodsmoke has always created feelings of peace and calm in my heart. 

Searching through all of those bulletin covers with scripture passages normally associated with fall, harvest and Thanksgiving was a good reminder for me that in addition to a time of grief, this is still a time of abundance to be thankful for.  Today I am thankful for all the gifts that Paula and Grandpa brought to my life.

  

No comments: